When you're a 40 something single mother of a teen with lots of ambition, you find yourself in all kinds of interesting adventures and situations. Come back to laugh at us any time you feel the need, heaven knows where we'll be doing what next. Here you can expect a few words, a lot of images and hopefully ideas on what you can do for your next adventure.

If you're looking for something specific that we've done or a place that we've been, use the Search Box feature to search our blog.

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Biddeford Pool Snowies and Goose Rocks find - Maine

Last weekend found me at the University of New England in Biddeford for the boy's first official NEP soccer game. I was pretty excited to be in the area since it's only minutes from Biddeford Pool and I was hoping to get my Snowy sighting in before the warm temps drove them north. After a rousing 9-0 win off I drove towards Mile stretch Road.

It didn't take much, directly across the intersection of 208 and Mile Stretch were a sea of bodies, about 20-30 people, all standing around with cameras, telescopes and craning necks looking upward. I sighed, the people who live in the area must just love the hub-bub. After taking a left I looked up and there it was, a beautiful puff of buff atop a pole in someone's back yard. I snapped a quick pic and drove the loop down and around Ocean Ave to take in the breathtaking views of the ocean. 

On my way back through I watched the chimney tops looking to see if I could find a bird of my own and sure enough - there was this pretty white head poking up above a bright red chimney. I laughed - well this one found a good hiding spot. He was pristine white and oh so pretty. 

I decided I better get out of dodge so I headed south towards Goose Rocks beach. There isn't anyplace to really stop and take in the view, but I thought it was worth a try to see if any Snowies were hanging out down there. I struck out but did happen upon a handsome red-tailed hawk trying to get his prize kill - a gray squirrel - to a safe eating ground without the crows hounding him. There were already 10-12 cah-cawing around and he didn't look happy to see them - or me. 

Lastly, before heading out I noticed a little face peeking out of a birdhouse along the edge of the Rachel Carlson area so I slowed for a closer look. Imagine that a female house sparrow had already staked her claim on a nice little beach house. I guess it's never too soon to look for beach rentals.











LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...