Burnt Meadow Pond - Brownfield, Maine

Out in Brownfield, there isn't really a whole lot. A few ponds, a few mountains, pretty much no cell phone signal, and some dirt roads. What they lack of, they make up for with plenty of trails and bugs and fishing opportunities.

We've hiked Burnt Meadow Mountain before, and this time we decided to drop into Burnt Meadow Pond to see how the fishing really is. The pond literally sits in the afternoon shadows of the mountain, directly beneath it and absorbing all the runoff. The water itself was crystal clear and very cold, with some really deep spots and some really shallow spots. It's no wonder the it's filled with such a variety of fish: brown and brook trout, large and smallmouth bass, white and yellow perch, pickerel, minnows, shiners, suckers, hornpout, eels and sunfish. The warmest of warmwater species to the coldest of coldwater species!

Sidenote: I have to tell you, there is nothing I love more than to back the truck down a boat ramp, have the boy and I grab the boat on either side, yank it out and slide it into the water like we really know what we're doing. Putting it back in is almost even slicker we've gotten so good. To make my day even better - it's awesome when there are people around to watch us because I know they are thinking "oh, look at that chick with the skinny kid. This should be fun to watch". I can't wait to get the trailer in working order but for now, I love this. And now back to your reading pleasure.

On this last day of May, we dropped the boat in the water to give it the test. There were like 10 people all standing around that morning (hence my story above), mostly older gents who - I'm pretty positive - thought I had no idea what I was doing until we got the boat in the water and putt-putted out with our silent battery operated motor. :) We trolled our favorite lures around, gawking at the beauty this pond holds, and within the first 10 minutes the boy's line took off like a shot. It was pulling, yanking, jumping - doing everything in it's power to remove the hook from it's mouth but to no avail, I netted his beautiful, and I mean drop dead gorgeous, 15" brown trout from the water for him. After photo ops, we kept moving back towards the island in the center where a Loon sat on her nest, watching us warily but not to the point where she jumped ship. In the back cove, the boy struck again by hooking the biggest shiner I had ever seen - that thing was easily over 12". Later, just before it was time to head in, I finally broke my silence by catching the smallest yellow perch ever. Seriously. You can see below.

All in all - a great day of fishing and I look forward to going back - especially in the fall when the leaves are changing. If you're in the area, I highly recommend dropping a boat and a line. Great for smaller boats, canoes and kayaks - not sure the peaceful tranquility would appreciate a large boat and motor.

Beautiful brown right there!

Burnt Meadow Mountain, from Burnt Meadow Pond


My monster perch! 

That is one proud kid right there.

Comments