Pleasant Point Park - Buxton, Maine

Sometimes the best jewels are those in your own backyard that tend to get overlooked. This particular day, I wanted to bring the dogs someplace for a walk where I didn't have to drive too far and well - I didn't have to. 

Pleasant Point Park is located in Buxton off the Simpson Road and follows along the shore of the Saco River. In the winter, you can snowshoe, hike or cross country ski on the trails that span across the 60 acres and in the summer there is hiking, fishing, swimming and picnicking galore. A carry in boat launch allows for further exploration of the waters surrounding the area and increases the chances for some lunker small and large mouth bass, as well as brook trout and landlocked salmon. The park has a rich history, containing a burial ground for early settlers, the foundation of the Woodman house and even a bickering between the State and the Town as to who should own the property. See the Town of Buxton's Park & Recreation page for more details around the park's history. 

This particular day, we walked along the trail on the southern end of the park, up and around the burial ground and following Simpson road back to the parking area. The snow is definitely getting soft and several times I found myself up to my knees in snow and then I finally ended up going down in a really deep spot (ugh! My knees will pay for that trip!) while the dogs watched me impatiently, in a hurry to see if there were more squirrels up ahead. It's such a hard time of year to hike - not enough snow for snowshoes and too much to not wear them. We had fun - saw some turkey vultures, crows and a few squirrels and my favorite part - the dogs are exhausted. Yay me!   



The trail map on the park sign

In the summer you can drive down into the park, but a larger parking area is just before the entrance


Under that there snow lies a foundation



You comin'?

Somebody's been busy with that tree

In the summer facilities are set up in the building to the right

Overlooking the Saco towards Skelton Dam

There are some majorly big and tall trees in this park!

Leading up to the Point


The Saco River, looking north towards Route 202







There are many perfectly placed benches along the trail, great for taking a break and taking in the beauty.




I seriously almost went down traversing this little ravine. It was icy in spots!


Leashes in one hand, camera in the other. Not as easy as it looks.

The trailmarkers here were yellow triangles. 




The Burial Ground is much larger than I thought, completely outlined with a small rock wall.

Amazing history right there.....





Another sign of spring!



Up to my knees


Teaberry leaves - they made it through the winter!

Snakeberries peeking through too

Well - some happy that I wore my boots! That was a wet walk!

Comments