"Skiing the Cow" at Smiling Hill Farm - Westbrook, Maine


Sorry for the back to back Cross Country posts, but as soon as I hit this place I fell in love and wanted to share as soon as possible! 

I can't tell you how many times I've driven past Smiling Hill Farm, located on County Road right on the oustskirts of Portland. I work basically right up the street, I've been there for lunch, ice cream, to pat the animals and feed the ducks in the pond out front many times in the summer but in the winter, I just hurry on by on my way someplace warm.

I searched on cross country skiing places during the week and low and behold, up popped Smiling Hill Farm. Their website boasted miles of groomed trails and I was immediately intrigued - after all, they are located exactly 15 minutes away from the house so how could I go wrong, right? 

Saturday morning was slightly overcast with another storm on the horizon, expected to hit the area in the late afternoon. I pulled into the parking lot around 10 am and it was relatively empty - not that I complained much (if you know me - crowds are not my thing). I paid my fees, signed myself in on the tracking sheet, strapped myself in and off I went. 

The map I was provided pointed me in the direction of the 'safer' trails - green and yellow dots to indicate the easier trails to navigate. I had no intention of breaking my neck my first time there. :) I followed the Sugar Maple Trail around the far back, came back towards the parking then took a left out towards the massive fields used by the cows all summer long. Those trails brought me out behind Channel 8 news and the Snow Dumping fields before looping me back through the fields and the parking area - which, by this time was completely packed! I was so suprised to see so many cars, but I hadn't hardly run into anyone! With that kind of trail system, there is plenty of room to be alone. 

I had a blast and figured I skied over 4 miles in the 2 1/2 hours I was there. Was it worth the entry fee? Oh heck yes it was! The trails were perfection, I had pretty much had them to myself, I even got in a little birdwatching! I highly recommend this little gem!

Here is their XC Ski portion of the Smiling Hill Farm website and they can also be found on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/SmilingHillFarm) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/SmilingHill). 

SKI THE COW! 





I know it's hard to read :) Snag a fresh copy from the ski shack!





Mouse tracks in the snow


From the Milk Can trail overlooking the expansive fields




Fox, I assumed


The Snow Graveyard

Some of the few people I saw the entire time I was there

A Portland Trails intersection - interesting! 

I swear this must be the very last Bittersweet of the season....

....and it's obvious that the turkey's are all over it. 







 

Swail grass up near the barns



Ironically, this is exactly what my body was thinking after I plunked myself in the drivers seat. :)


Thank you! I sure will!!!

Comments