Caribou Mountain - Batchelors Grant/Mason Township, Maine

A hike that spans far back into my younger years, Caribou /Speckled Mountain is one of my favorite climbs. It's been a few years, and I need to go back. This particular trip was on Memorial Day Weekend, 2008.

Caribou Mountain is a steady climb that plateaus at 2828 feet in Oxford County. The Mud Brook trail starts off Route 113, travels across Morrison Brook, Kees Falls, up and over the mountain and follows Mud Brook back to the parking area. The trail is 3 miles long and estimated, takes just about 2 1/4 hours. I love to linger at the top and soak in all there is to see, so I figure it's more like 3 - 3 1/2 hours. 

The trail is typical, roots - rocks - muddy at times - slippery at others, but well worth it all. I always go up the Morrison brook side and save Mud brook for the trip back down since it's easier on the knees. I've made this trip spring, summer and fall - not hearty enough to try it in the winter. It's been a treat every time. 

Highlights of the trail - moose and deer are everywhere, Kees falls drops 25 feet and makes for a great breaking spot, views of the White Mountains and back into the hills of Maine from the peak and of course, just being at one with nature. 













Comments