When you're a 40 something single mother of a teen with lots of ambition, you find yourself in all kinds of interesting adventures and situations. Come back to laugh at us any time you feel the need, heaven knows where we'll be doing what next. Here you can expect a few words, a lot of images and hopefully ideas on what you can do for your next adventure.

If you're looking for something specific that we've done or a place that we've been, use the Search Box feature to search our blog.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Snowy Owls in January - Biddeford Pool, Maine

The hype was on and my mom and I were joking about all the folks flocking to go and find Snowy Owls along the Maine coastline. Ok - I'm SORRY if you were one of them, keep reading! It turned out that I became one of you.

So the joke was - I was off in search of people in search of the elusive Snowy Owl. I was going to find and photograph crazy people with binoculars and 50,000 mm lenses chasing these white creatures around. I headed to Biddeford Pool.

I came screeching into town on two wheels, Ryan Bingham's Bread and Water jamming as loud as the stock Tundra's speakers could handle and singing to the top of my lungs. I was ready. Just as I got to the intersection of Shore Road there was a car pulled over but she was searching the marsh so I pulled forward, then I saw one - sitting on the chimney. That person looked normal so I figured I would behave, I turned left knowing that the bird "should be" still there when I returned. I figured everyone must be on the peninsula or something. I drove all the way around the "the Pool" scouring for people and birds and really saw neither. I saw a lot of shore birds, Mergansers, Eiders, Cormorants - that was really it. Maybe the cop sitting at the little town park had something to do with it.

On my way back towards Fortune's Rocks, I spotting a piece of driftwood that didn't look quite right. Sure enough - there was one. He was in the most inopportune spot - right in front of two houses perched like he was royalty. And I guess he was. I pulled over and snapped a pic or two and then out of nowhere some headhunters pulled up and right into the driveway of one of the houses. I half expected them to jump out and run up on the porch but they didn't. I drove by them slowly giving the evil eye and they must have spotted me, they put the car in reverse.


I moved back down to the marshy area to see if I could see the other Owl on the chimney still. He wasn't there. I was bummed for a second or two until ANOTHER vehicle came flying up and jammed on the breaks, jumped out with a camera and pointed it to the marsh. I turned and looked - well, whaddya know - there he is! Right in the middle of ducks and gulls and everything, this bad boy was sitting on a chunk of ice.





The car that had pulled in, with two woman in it, peeled out of the space ahead of me and spun off down towards Fortune's Rocks. I heard a funny noise, didn't think much of it and then suddenly the Owl took off from his perch, flew a little ways farther into the marsh and landed - way back. He turned and looked back to where I had heard the noise and there were those same two ladies, standing on someone's back lawn! I was like yeah, that's enough of that. I thought it was going to be FUNNy to stalk those people but instead, I felt terrible for the birds and their peace and quiet. I went in the Fortune's direction to head back out to see the surf and sure enough - those two crazy ladies and parked right in someone's driveway - doors wide open. ugh. Gives birders a bad name, those are the types of acts that gets property posted. It's not that important people - although I did make the drive too. Hmmm.....







"Thanks for dropping by and not chasing me around ma'am!"



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...