Harlequins - Dyer Point, Cape Elizabeth

I was having one jackpot of a day. Not only had I seen the Brant and the Scaup but when I swung by Dyer Point on a whim, there were my favorites of all winter ducks playing in the rolling high tide surf.... Harlequin ducks! When I walked back towards the truck I was stopped by an older couple who asked if I knew what they were. After I explained the gentlemen said that watching them was almost like watching kids on a playground, they looked like they were having so much fun. I smiled and fell in love with that analogy, because he was spot on - they DO look like they are having a blast rolling through the waves. 

Harlequin ducks are tiny in comparison to some other species and although my images don't show it - the males have gorgeous coloring in shades of maroon and gunmetal grey, which perfect white patching that makes them very distinct compared to any other duck. The females of course, well - pale in comparison. These guys generally come down to our coast from Newfoundland and Labrador to 'warm up' in our rough coastal waters and feed on crustaceans found along the bottom. 








Comments