An old debate - a Coopers or a Sharp Shinned Hawk?

I had this bad boy swoop down into my back yard and attempt to pluck a bird from the feeders, however this time he wasn't so lucky and came out empty clawed. I got these images of him as he hung around, determined to get his breakfast before moving one but in the end, leaving hungry.

It was larger than a mourning dove and in flight was much meaner looking than the Sharpies I had seen before. The tail was rounded, not squared and Otherwise, the two are virtually the exact same bird.

So I posted one of the images on Facebook as a Cooper's hawk and was immediately asked to double check myself, since that was obviously a Sharp Shinned Hawk. That made me second guess myself. Ugh.

So - my readers - I'm going to see what you all think. I'm also adding this handy Feederwatch cheat sheet they gave to me to to help you make that decision. I still think it's a Coopers but am always willing to be proven wrong. :)

Regardless, it was a beautiful sight to see in my backyard - mostly because he didn't get any of my birdies.





Comments

  1. pretty thing! if it was small like a kestrel, i'd say sharpie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos of one nature's gems ~ way of all things ~ 'food chain' ~ Happy Weekend to you ~

    artmusedog and carol
    www.acreativeharbor.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoever "he" is ... he is lovely! Happy Critter Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is a beauty! Sorry, I am no help with the id. Maybe someone will comment on your hawk.. Great shots!
    Thank you for linking up to my critter party. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the same issue with a hawk in our backyard last month. I was told by a bird photographer that a sharp-shinned hawk is about the size of a bluejay which is how this one appears. The Cooper's hawk is significantly bigger which is what I determined I had in our yard. Thanks for the ID link.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment