When you're a 40 something single mother of a teen with lots of ambition, you find yourself in all kinds of interesting adventures and situations. Come back to laugh at us any time you feel the need, heaven knows where we'll be doing what next. Here you can expect a few words, a lot of images and hopefully ideas on what you can do for your next adventure.

If you're looking for something specific that we've done or a place that we've been, use the Search Box feature to search our blog.

Saturday, February 22, 2014

An old debate - a Coopers or a Sharp Shinned Hawk?

I had this bad boy swoop down into my back yard and attempt to pluck a bird from the feeders, however this time he wasn't so lucky and came out empty clawed. I got these images of him as he hung around, determined to get his breakfast before moving one but in the end, leaving hungry.

It was larger than a mourning dove and in flight was much meaner looking than the Sharpies I had seen before. The tail was rounded, not squared and Otherwise, the two are virtually the exact same bird.

So I posted one of the images on Facebook as a Cooper's hawk and was immediately asked to double check myself, since that was obviously a Sharp Shinned Hawk. That made me second guess myself. Ugh.

So - my readers - I'm going to see what you all think. I'm also adding this handy Feederwatch cheat sheet they gave to me to to help you make that decision. I still think it's a Coopers but am always willing to be proven wrong. :)

Regardless, it was a beautiful sight to see in my backyard - mostly because he didn't get any of my birdies.





LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...