Plane spotting at PWM - So Portland, ME

Ever since my son was very little, he's had that testosterone curiosity for large man-made things that make alot of noise. To women these things are known as trains, trucks, boats and airplanes.

I had a quick stop to make at a local mallish type store when he announced that he was hungry. A bagel with cream cheese - a simple request. Well, it would have to be eaten before entering the store, so the drive through was used and we drove down the long roadway that runs parallel with our local airport runway to do a little plane spotting. I figured if I were going to make him shop - it was the least I could do. He was thrilled. It's amazing how it will probably never get too old and I'll be honest, it's something I've grown to like too.

PWM (Portland Westbrook Municipal) International Airport is a quiet little place with the unfortunate distinction of being the place where one of the 9/11 terrorists flew from and hit the North tower. That's pretty much it though, aside from being more expensive to fly into than Logan or Laguardia and driving up.

Directly across from the airport itself, on the other side of the runways, PWM was smart enough to put in a parking area to provide a place for Plane Spotters to watch those big ol' jets coming and going - heading to far off wonderous places. That's where we sat today. There's even a Yahoo group dedicated to 'spotting (no, I'm not part of it) and all that info can be found in this Portland Press Herald article written a few years back. The PWM site on my smartphone allows you to see what's coming, what's going, where they are going and where in flight the plane is. That's good enough for me. :)








Comments