Spurwink River, Kettle Cove - January 7th

Continuing my wonderful day on the 7th, I snaked around from Higgins Beach towards the Cape Elizabeth area, stopping at the Spurwink River on my way through. I was pleasantly suprised by a Horned Grebe and a Red-Breasted Merganser. This was also where my mom and I, Christmas Eve day, had seen a Kingfisher swoop by and land for us to ogle over. I also spotted an unidentifyable bird - about the size of a cardinal but with what looked like dark streaks on it's belly. It almost looked like a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak, without the rose breast! Anyway, from there I stopped into Kettle Cove and Dyer Point, but locations provided Long-Tails, Eiders, Mergansers, and Common Goldeneyes, but Dyer Point also provided me with a lifer - a King Eider - floating just out of camera range to have the photograph make sense. I was SO excited!

Horned Grebe

Red-Breasted Merganser

The Odd Couple

I sure wish I knew what this darn thing was! Thoughts?



Kettle Cove




Fishing Boat off Dyer Point

Comments