Downy's vs. Hairy's

I have many visitors that come to the feeders on the back porch, but the woodpeckers are my favorites. I typically have three regulars - two to the suet and one to my poor trees. The Pileated I've already spoken about, it's time for the smaller hardheaded friends and a monochrome blog.

Mr. & Mrs. Downy make daily visits. The smallest of my friends, they are the least timid. I can always tell when it's them even from a distance as they are barely as tall as the wire suet cage they hang from. He has a red cap, she has none.

Mr & Mrs. Hairy come when they feel the need. When hanging on the suet basket they are easily identifyable as they usually stand a full head and tail larger. My pair nested out back this past summer, I had three very uncoordinated Hairy babies flitting through the backyard on numerous occasions. It was a thrill! Again - the male has a red cap and the female.... none.

I hope this helps you identify which species of woodpecker is visiting your back yard!

Mrs. Downy - missing the red cap

Whatcha looking at there broad?

Mr. Downy, sporting his red dome



Mrs. Hairy - you can see - is much larger than the wire cage. Mr. Hairy is identical except with a red crown.

Comments

  1. Very nice photos. Thanks.

    Gene

    http://birdwatching-birds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gene - I just wish I could have topped it off with the Male Hairy but he was a little shy that day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good pictures of both! I like your Snow Bunting header...neat!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment