When you're a 40 something single mother of a teen with lots of ambition, you find yourself in all kinds of interesting adventures and situations. Come back to laugh at us any time you feel the need, heaven knows where we'll be doing what next. Here you can expect a few words, a lot of images and hopefully ideas on what you can do for your next adventure.

If you're looking for something specific that we've done or a place that we've been, use the Search Box feature to search our blog.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Downy's vs. Hairy's

I have many visitors that come to the feeders on the back porch, but the woodpeckers are my favorites. I typically have three regulars - two to the suet and one to my poor trees. The Pileated I've already spoken about, it's time for the smaller hardheaded friends and a monochrome blog.

Mr. & Mrs. Downy make daily visits. The smallest of my friends, they are the least timid. I can always tell when it's them even from a distance as they are barely as tall as the wire suet cage they hang from. He has a red cap, she has none.

Mr & Mrs. Hairy come when they feel the need. When hanging on the suet basket they are easily identifyable as they usually stand a full head and tail larger. My pair nested out back this past summer, I had three very uncoordinated Hairy babies flitting through the backyard on numerous occasions. It was a thrill! Again - the male has a red cap and the female.... none.

I hope this helps you identify which species of woodpecker is visiting your back yard!

Mrs. Downy - missing the red cap

Whatcha looking at there broad?

Mr. Downy, sporting his red dome



Mrs. Hairy - you can see - is much larger than the wire cage. Mr. Hairy is identical except with a red crown.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...