Photo shoot with a Great Crested Flycatcher

I've heard that noise before. Somewhere between a shriek and a scream, it's hair raising enough. Not knowing what it was, I planted myself in the rocking chair of my back porch and perched motionless, just waiting for it to show it's face in my back yard.

To listen to the racket one of these puppies can make, visit All About Birds for the Great Crested Flycatcher, then click on the "Typical Voice" under Identification. Noisy critter - I'm hearing the second half of the song they play.

I got what I wished for. Yet - it wasn't what I expected. I had no idea THAT was the bird that made that song. Mr. & Mrs. Great Crested Flycatcher were flitting around the back yard picking up shreds of dog hair and dried grass. Well now - those two are making a nest somewhere.

It wasn't until later when I was reading up on them to see if there was anything interesting to write about in my blog (nothing really, except they eat berries as well as bugs) that I realized they will nest in a nestbox with a 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 inch diameter hole. All of my nestboxes are close to that because of the Chickadee / Wren / Bluebird factor. I wonder - oh I wonder - if they are nesting in the Woodline box. I'll have to scope that out & measure up the entry holes tomorrow. How cool would that be! :)

"So, you want me here? How's this?"

"This is my 'empathetic' look"

"My good side"

"My 'over the shoulder' look"

"Action shot"

"You good? Got what you need? Do you need me anymore?"

"Call my agent if you need anything - I have a house to build!"

Note the bug flying underneath the branch, he was a 'stand in'.

Comments

Post a Comment