When you're a 40 something single mother of a teen with lots of ambition, you find yourself in all kinds of interesting adventures and situations. Come back to laugh at us any time you feel the need, heaven knows where we'll be doing what next. Here you can expect a few words, a lot of images and hopefully ideas on what you can do for your next adventure.

If you're looking for something specific that we've done or a place that we've been, use the Search Box feature to search our blog.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's day rambling

So it's Mother's day - a day to celebrate the person in your life who brought you into this world. My mom worked her toushie off even though she never had a full time job. She kept the house, lawns and gardens tidy. She chased the sheep, chickens and that darn pig when they got out. And she kept us in line - which was never an easy thing to do. I never acknowledged how hard she worked or that my mother was right about anything until I was about 23 when I called her - crying - and told her she was right about everything. Then I proceeded to apologize for all the bad things I ever did during my childhood. I felt as though I had earned my right of passage in that one phone call and that I was ready for children of my own.

Yeah - right.

Mom, my older sister and I, Christmas - circa 1970?

I turned 31 the year the Monkey was born. I had a very uneventful pregnancy, labor and childbirth - aside from threatening to throttle a nurse in the maternity ward when she gave me a Nubain instead of an Epidural. In a matter of 10 1/2 hours from my first contraction, out came this screaming wiggling thing that I was charged with keeping alive. Good Lord - what have I done. He was hungry all the time and refused to sleep more than a few hours at a time and I believed in my mind that he seriously thought he needed to be the life of the party even at that age. I remember getting peed on only a handful of times and sleeping in the Canadian Rocker more than my own bed for months on end. He was eating cereal at 8 weeks and walking by 8 months. His first words were DADADADADADADA and Oooohhhhhhh! He hasn't stopped eating, moving or talking since.

A precious lil' Monkey about 4 weeks old


About 18 months?

Two years old

His father and I split when he was just three years old and for his fourth birthday I bought him a new house. As a single mom I went through stages of fear, depression, elation and amazing strength. I swore that if I could keep him alive and happy it would be a miracle. I learned how to sleep in a house as the sole adult and became a fierce protector of my home and family. I kept the bill collectors and mortgage company at bay and found ways to work the system to keep ahead of the game. I got him into sports and kept him fed. That was six years ago.


Around 5, taking up my entire livingroom

Six-ish in the snow, boogery nose and all

Probably 7-8 years old, climbing the darn trees again

My big boy pitches and catches now....

...and is a key member of his soccer team

I work full time - 40 hours a week - in a professional role for a very large company. I'm 'team mom' for baseball teams each spring, he plays basketball each fall and we're now into year round soccer. We go hiking, biking and fishing and I even make Monkey's friends jealous because their dads won't do things I do. I'm chipping away at my 'wanted' list. I own my big camera. I have a riding lawnmower. I got me a truck. I have a boat on the way. We are happy and healthy. There is very little left a woman could want in life. Except a day to herself. Which is Mother's Day.

Unless you're a single mom, because then it's just another day. I don't think I'd want it any other way.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...