Close encounters of the Pileated kind

We came home from a long day and I could hear her in through the closed up house. Ratt-ah-tatt-ah-tatt! We went in the back yard and placed CSI until we determined which tree she was in. Ratt-ah-tatt-ah-tatt! I found her, pounding on a big pine about 30 feet from the treeline. I came back and got my camera, half figuring the Monkey would have scared her away while I was gone. Nope, she was still there digging away at the bugs that were hiding in the rotten wood. I have to admit, I've never seen a bird's tongue before. :)




See her tongue? She's sticking it into the wood to help pry out the bugs!



Comments

  1. Wow! Fantastic series...you were so close!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Close enough to get wood chips on us! lol! Ok, maybe not that close. She wasn't afraid of us at all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment