When you're a 40 something single mother of a teen with lots of ambition, you find yourself in all kinds of interesting adventures and situations. Come back to laugh at us any time you feel the need, heaven knows where we'll be doing what next. Here you can expect a few words, a lot of images and hopefully ideas on what you can do for your next adventure.

If you're looking for something specific that we've done or a place that we've been, use the Search Box feature to search our blog.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Groundhog day storm

Phew, I'm happy to still be alive - I seriously thought this storm would be the one to wipe out all of humanity. Well, the way the weather peeps were talking it would. Granted, some states got slammed and others coated with ice but hello? It's winter everywhere, right? Not just in Maine? Aren't these things supposed to happen?

I'll start with Monday night. Everyone was buzzing about the big storm coming that was going to hit Maine on Wednesday. I wasn't feeling well - my bones ached and my stomach hurt and I was running a fever - the whole time thinking 'oh great, here comes the storm of the century and I'm going to get the flu'. When I woke Tuesday morning I realized what the issue was. My arthritis - which is degenerative - was acting up. I have it in my back in three places, in my hips, knees and fingers. One spot in my back is #3 (right below the base of my skull) and when that one swells I get migraines. I woke up with one of those migraines. I haven't had issues in many many years and I knew that this storm would be a good one just based on the splintering pain my joints were providing me. It was just a matter of waiting until the storm actually hit. Monkey was showing symptoms of the stomach bug including a fever so I decided we would hunker down and wait for all hell to break loose. We had a 'pre-storm' that dropped about 4" here during the day, Eddie came and plowed us out and Monkey felt well enough to shovel. I pulled it together and set up a shepard's pie and baked some beans in the slow cooker in case we lost the power at some point. School sent out their cancellation around 6:00 Tuesday night, evidently they were taking this storm seriously.

Wednesday morning I woke and knew immediately that it was snowing without looking out the window. I felt great again! Yes, it was snowing like crazy. I received a call at 6:30 am from work, they were cancelling for the day. I'm not sure in the 12 years I've worked there if they've ever actually closed for the whole day. I'm pretty sure our two day total was around 12", maybe 14" at the most. Eric plowed us out in the morning, Eddie in the afternoon. Monkey and I shoveled the rest and we even cleaned the roof (I swear there's 24"+ where I can't reach!) and put new runs in the snowtube park. It was a great snow day!

Heading out to shovel bright and early this morning

One of the million times monkey swiped off the back porch

Juncos looking for a handout and reprive from the snow

This is how it looked here for most of the day

Empty and snowbound feeders

The plowed up snow is dwarfing my car

Whadder you lookin at?

The Red Breasted Nuthatch decided she was hungry enough to come to the suet next to the house

American Tree Sparrows don't care how close to the house they get!


My neighbor shoveling off her roof. Lots - o - snow

Monkey finally got his wish to rake the roof

And realized what hard work it was. I got to finish

Still so much snow on the roof, but we raked it back pretty far

The road. Kudos to my plow guy, he did a great job of keeping the roads clear today

That is one tall snowbank.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...