OneNote and the Bucket List

If you have OneNote and a thirst for the outdoors, you'll like this post. Otherwise, you'll just shake your head at what an analytical, technilogical outdoors enthusiast I am.

For the past couple of years I've had lists of places to go, paper maps, information and brochures as well as saved internet favorites to help plan out our Adventures. They are scattered around and if I'm online I skip over the paper and if I'm pouring through the paper I'm not looking online. Enough is enough.

Here some Wiki information for OneNote:
Microsoft OneNote (formerly called Microsoft Office OneNote) is a software package for free-form information gathering and multi-user collaboration.


OneNote's interface is an electronic version of the familiar tabbed ring binder which can be used directly for making notes, but also to gather material obtained from other applications. OneNote notebooks are designed for collecting, organizing and sharing possibly unpolished materials, typically for projects, while word processors and wikis are usually targeted at publishing in some way.

So I've set up a 'Notebook' where I can list out all of the hiking, biking, climbing, birding and beach bum places that we love as well as those we want to go to. Then I've set up pages for each place and included the information from the web to include PDF's of maps and brochures. One stop shopping! My favorite part is that when you copy and paste information from the web, the URL that you copied it from carries over with it so you can always go back to the page you obtained the information from.

I have a long list in my head, and it's still growing. I promise to share as soon as I get done inputting the majority into my notebook and polished up some more!

More information on OneNote can be found by clicking on this link. The pictures below are of my Notebook, click them to open in a page of their own them click again to make them larger if you want to see the print. I don't normally push products, but I love OneNote for the purpose I'm using it for!


This is the 'Bucket List' section of my Adventures Notebook... clicking the hyperlinks will bring you to that location's page under it's respective section (hiking trails, mountain trails, etc).

So when I click the hyperlink to access a location page, I have them set up with all the information needed for that location. You can also see where the link is automatically inserted from the location I copied from. No purgery here! The geek in my thinks this is so cool! I can click on any of the pages on the right and they come right up, so surfing a place to go is quick n' easy.

Comments