Winter's first "real" snowfall

Yesterday's weather report indicated there was a chance of snow showers in the air for our Saturday. Nothing major, it would melt upon hitting the ground because the ground temps were too warm. Regardless, I bundled myself and my kid - both home sick with 'The Ick' - and headed out to buy a Christmas Tree.

Yes, I am one of those who still believes in a 'real' Christmas tree and actually enjoys the smell as well as the cleanup.

We went to O'Donals Nursery this year per the Monkey's orders and we both fell in love with the first tree we saw. It was hanging by it's noose from the rafters of the outbuilding amid about 50 others, looking rather bleak with it's branches tucked to it's core as if it had just been unrolled from it's webbed blanket. I pulled down on them and recognized that it would fill out nicely once given a opportunity. Loaded on top of the car with a few pieces of twine, we brought it home.

We put out our new blowup snowman decoration to assist in our rivalry against the neighbors across the street and then I decided to bring the tree in the house, just in case. Was my woman's intuition dead on or what?



Monkey woke me up at 5:30 this morning. "And the weatherman said it would melt as soon as it hit the ground" he muttered "Do they know anything?". A measurement on the back porch railing revealed that we had gained about an 1 1/2" of snow overnight. Enough to make even myself want to decorate the tree. Since bringing it in the house, it had fluffed out to be much larger than I had originally thought. Looking at it now I'm impressed that we knew it was a keeper without even knowing it's full potential. 10:00 in the morning and it's completely decorated. Now the Monkey is reeking havoc at the Bubster's house and I'm preparing for a day of cooking and watching birdies with peace, quiet and Christmas music in the background.

Our new 8' friend. Boy, are the neighbors scrambling to get more stuff now!

The tree. I want you to note that Monkey is in short sleeves. It was 50 degrees on Friday.

Saturday morning suprise!

Yep - about 1 1/2 inches of very wet snow.

The snow covered field

Once excited dancing Monkey

Monkey and the neighbor's neice built a snowman then did snow angels. ♥

"Thank goodness you filled the feeders yesterday!"

Mr. Cardinal (Mr. C) quietly and patiently awaits his turn at the flat feeder

"Umm, I hate to bother.... do you have any more of those nut things in your seed bucket?"

"He's such a pain. I'm just looking for sunflower seeds."

"But look at how cute I am! How can you resist?"

A very chilly looking Mourning Dove takes a break from foraging

The Goldfinches took care of any seed begging for awhile. When they are done I'll do some refills

"I guess I can have Sunflower Seeds. It's all good"

Our tree - decorated. I'll take more pictures tonight when the lights are on.

Comments

  1. snow oh my how i would love a white christmas ,these pictures are fantastic captures the magic of it all :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment