My Pileated Woodpecker backyard friend

A few weeks back I busted the Pileated right on the treeline hammering away at one of my oaks. I tried to sneak out for a good picture but alas - I'm not light enough on my feet. I hadn't seen once since, but the evidence that they had been around was mounting. Sure enough, I glanced out the window the other morning and found the female pounding away at a different tree, only a few feet from the ground and right behind the house. What a gorgeous, noisy (and very big) feathered friend to have around. I hope they keep coming back! :)

It's the female, as known by the lack of a red 'mustache'

Here's the latest excavation in my poor oak

"Oh, do you see me? Gotta go!"

Comments

  1. Hey Ney.. she is beautiful...wonderful opportunity...great photography..hope she come's back for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't she pretty? How cool would it be to have them nesting in the back yard?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that is a dead oak tree! They make such large distinctive holes. They are wonderful birds to see...so huge! We used to have one stop occasionally, but haven't seen it this year except flying over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, that tree is NOT dead - it's fully alive and I feel bad! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment