The Blizzard of 2010

"The biggest storm of 2010", "Near Blizzard conditions expected", "Blizzard Watch", "Blizzard Warning", Blizzard, blizzard, blizzard. Snore. Every time I heard those buzz words I felt like I should be in Dairy Queen ordering a blizzard.

To be honest - I appreciate the approach that weathermen take when warning about an incoming storm. Shock and awe is always a good way to snag the public's attention. They started talking about this storm and it's forboding characteristics late last week, to the point where I thought it would be like when I was a kid and we were going to get three feet of the white stuff. Then they started tossing out predictive snowfall amounts. 12 - 20". Now seriously - that's alot of shoveling but it's nothing in comparison to the days when we could make tunnels through the front yard without using the pile made by the plow. They claimed that the storm system would be a Category 1 Hurricane though - ok, they win. It is a big deal.

I woke up  around 5:30 this morning and there was about 9 inches piled up on the back porch in the low spots. I didn't bother with measuring the higher piles because I figured they were the result of the wind gusts that made the dog climb in bed with me during the night and then proceed to sprawl out until she had 98% of the bed space. She doesn't like the wind because that usually means the power will go out and the filter on the fish tank will make that odd gurgling noise until it stops - and then it's dead silence. It really freaks her out. I digress.

It didn't snow for a long time this morning, I knew I was going to have to work. The neighbors across the street (aka - the crazies) plowed me out and even did the mailbox. I took Monkey to the Bubster's around 11:00 and the roads were terrible. Not long after I got home Bubster's dad came over and plowed me out again. It's like a battle between those two and I won't complain at all - it's free ya know. The birdies were here all afternoon between squalls, I felt bad watching them battle the winds to get from the safety of the pine branches to the feeders, they managed to make it alive. By now, the snow has just about come to a stop and I probably have about a foot out of the deal. A little less than the 16 - 20" they predicted, but hey - who knows... with all the wind it could have been 20" and it just blew away.

I'm just excited that I can use the snowshoes my mom got me for Christmas!

Samantha loves the snow

"I'm bored already"

All the radar shows is more snow!

Yes, I kicked him out - but he looks happy about it

 Snow blowing in the wind

 Peeka eyes the Juncos



 The boy loves the snow



My neighbors save the day


 



Ahh, too many clowns hanging around the feeder today





Who are you calling a clown?

I'm outta here


 Methinks Me's gonna break in the new 'shoes tonight

Comments

  1. You a a great photographer, Rene. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bob, come back any time - you'll never know what you'll find here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ney!!....Love your new header...great bird pictures too!!
    Who's the Kid!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. ....love those snow shots!! Looks like your guys are going to have fun over the next couple of days. Wish we would get a bit more snow.....ours is supposed to melt by Friday.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment