Updates from the 'Foreside

All is well here in Buxton Foreside, busy but well. I can't believe it's been two weeks since my last post! I've been mostly tied up with work stuff - implementations that take up half the weekends and broken systems that make my mind race and keep me awake at night. I hate it when my work life intereferes with my personal life.

Aside from work dilemas, we've had baseball and uckie weather and then more baseball and some great weather. I took Friday off as a de-stress day, giving a chance to get caught up on groceries, housework and laundry so I would have more time to play this weekend.

It also gave me a chance to go to Monkey's 3rd grade music recital where I got to listen to kids banging on various instruments and sing songs that I couldn't have made the words out to if I tried. They were adorable though, and it's amazing how much the kids have grown! My neighbors, who live just up the road but I swear I only see at school and baseball events, saved me a seat front and center and right in between them. ♥ It was really good to catch up.

Mrs. Chickadee has done well to keep her nestlings happy and fed - God bless her little soul - she's been calling to them to leave the nest and eat but it's not working.... yet. I have them slated to fledge this weekend. Mr & Mrs. Bluebird are also very busy feeding their tribe, who if my timing is right should fledge by the end of this week. I'll post more on each of them in other blogs.

Baseball is shaping up nicely, the kids are finally catching on and getting used to each other - there's a chance they might even win a game before the season is done. I sit in the dugout for each game keeping order in the medlam, making sure they don't hurt each other, don't shove ten pieces of gun in their mouth at once and get up to bat on their turn. Sounds easy - but it's a tribe of nine 8, 9 and 10 year olds. **sigh** I love it. More on that separately too.

I have many plants that got caught up in a freeze that occured over the course of a few nights a week or so back and totally lost a few Hostas, Lillies and my Bleeding Heart - not forever, just for this year. Some are trying to make a comeback, but the Lillies are definitely done. Batchelors Buttons, Salvia and Chives are happily displaying their shades of purple, the Clematis is about to burst from it's pods and the blueberry bushes are FULL of little green berries. I've also discovered two Pink Lady Slippers just off the roadway across the street and 4 plants growing out in my back 40.

New feathered friend arrivals in the backyard include the Ruby-Throated Hummingbird, the Indigo Buntings, the Scarlet Tanager, many warblers, the Catbirds, the Mockingbird - it's crazy around here. I have many pictures to share - I have some posting to do!

Tomorrow we plan on hiking Wolfe's Neck State Park and maybe even Bradbury Mountain immediately afterwards. It's time for the real adventures to begin.

Just some of what you have to look forward to - I have some writing to do! I promise to get back on track..... for now I have a cup of coffee and a back porch begging me to go sit in the morning sun.


Just a sneak peek of the Tanager - I have a whole blog to write about this character!

Fat, full and lazing in the sun... this reminds me a of a picture that Mary has on her blog!


Comments

  1. Sounds like you've been busy, in a mostly good way. I'm looking forward to the Scarlet Tanager post. I see them here every year, but they're always 60 feet up in the tree canopy. Most of what I see are belly views.

    Both of my kids played baseball. My daughter once got a home run because the little boys on the other team were too shy to tag her out. They just stepped back and let her run by.

    Don't miss spending time with the Monkey. My kids are both off to college and I miss seeing them every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted about the Tanager first, just for you. :)

    lol - boys are funny, good for her....

    I love my time with the Monkey, it allows me to be a kid again. Part of me hopes he never goes away, but I can't imagine what my food bill would be when he was 25. I'll take your advice and just enjoy what I have now. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment