A Chickadee story - One family fledges and another begins

My last day with the Chickadee babies was on Monday, May 24th. I managed to snap the pictures below of Mr. & Mrs. Chick feverishly feeding their plump patrons - you can tell by the look on their faces they were getting pretty tired. They called and called and called trying to lure them out, but the babies wouldn't budge. The following morning I heard them, by the time I got home from work the box was silent. I checked - empty. I'll was a little sad and very proud all at the same time. My first Chickadee attempt in one of my nestboxes was a success! 
I'm STARVING!


Mom? Mom! Where are you? Are you coming back?

I'm right here! Come on out and get the wormie! Come on' you can do it!

Oh no, you come to me. It's too big out there, I'm staying right here....

I can guarantee they won't stay in there much longer.


So I sat on my back porch, numbed by the abscence of crying from the box when I realized - there was a Chickadee flying in and out of another nest box I have along the trailside. I grabbed my binoculars - she was carrying nesting material! Hooray! I might have another brood coming up soon! I missed out on the nest building last time, she is certainly one busy little lady! I read that Chickadees won't brood twice in one year, perhaps this one saw how happy the last family was and decided to have one of her own. She prompted me to clean out the flattened nest from the other box, maybe someone will move in there again as well!












Comments

  1. It's funny how much moss they will carry in one trip. Sometimes I wonder how they see where they're going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The box that contained the successfull brood already has new tenants moving in, so I have two Mrs. Chickadees to watch built their 'dream home'.

    I got to watch one pulling moss from right behind the house (without my camera, of course) and she was so funny to watch. Very intense work by the looks of it.

    I can't wait to see what they both come up with to line their nests, the last one had what looked like "Owens Corning" insulation in it. I guess the Pink Panther was the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an update - we checked the box photographed above last night and it has four sweet little eggs in it! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment