Adventure at Wolfe's Neck State Park - Freeport

Last Sunday (feels like a year ago to me right now!) was Adventure Sunday. We hiked Bradbury Mountain in the morning, then after a quick lunch at the posh McDonald's in Freeport headed over to Wolfe's Neck State Park.


The park itself has a fantastic history with it's 245 acres and 5 miles of hiking trails. It also supports an Osprey Nesting Sanctuary, which is super cool. You can find plenty of wildlife to sometimes include Horse shoe Crabs - one of the only places around where they still thrive.

We stuck to the shoreline walk since the boys were done with hiking and onto exploring and it was low tide. They immediately muddied their sneakers in the soft, clay-sand beach so I made them leave those behind on a rock and warned them of the dangers of wading in the water with HorseShoe crabs. They stuck to the tidal pools and playing in the seaweed instead - not a bad thing! We 'beached it' around to the stairway at the far boundries of the park and made our way back via the trail. It took us about an hour and a half and we loved every minute of it!

More information on the Wolfe's Neck State Park can be found by clicking on the link. Also, here's a map of the area. This is an area that I highly recommend for all ages - it's trails are cool in the summer and you get to walk some rugged Maine coastline. Of course, there's a park fee - it would have cost me $5.00 for the three of us and my State Park Pass saved me again.

P.S. to my birding friends. I've determined that there IS no birding with those two in tow, so I have no real news for you besides seeing the Osprey, her three babies and a few gulls.


The Trail Map from the upper parking lot

We took the Casco Bay Trail



The trail down to the shoreline where the Osprey Sanctuary is

The boys show off their find - a Horseshoe Crab shell

The shed their shells much like a lobster or a crab does.

The Osprey Sanctuary

Shoeless Beach Bums. We left them behind...

The Osprey nest - the babies had just been there but wouldn't come back out!

Momma Osprey shredding up some fish for the babies



The boys weren't the only ones to leave their shoes behind









Proof that the rocks were sharp

Contemplating smashing a couple of Mussells. I talked him out of it.

I loved the holes in the rocks



No need for a walking stick on rocks

What a cutie he is!























Comments

  1. Thanks for the sensible critique. Me and my neighbor were just preparing to do some research about this. We got a grab a book from our area library but I think I learned more from this post. I’m very glad to see such fantastic info being shared freely out there. jordan cổ cao

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment