A quick walk on the Eastern Trail

I've come to the conclusion that I have impeccable timing. Not all of the time, but for the most part. I decided that enough was enough, I'd cooped myself up in the house long enough this weekend and it was time to get out. I walked the Eastern Trail because it was close, if it started raining I could get back to the car quickly and I was hoping to see a Great Blue Heron to add to my list. I meandered my way there, took my walk, took some pictures and got back home in time to fill the feeders and check the nestboxes before the skies unleashed bedlam. It's pouring here! I actually muttered 'crazy weather' when I realized the ick had once again commenced.

My trip, although not yielding in a Great Blue Heron, was rather successful and invigorating. It wasn't windy which was nice, when it is there it's bone chilling! I got to see a few Swamp Sparrows, a Yellow-Rumped Warbler and a pair of Kingfishers which means that summer is just around the corner. And it was nice to see the Tree Swallows buzzing over the marsh and making use of the various nestboxes placed along the quickly greening swamp grasses. It was mid-tide, coming in, and the smell of the salt clung to the air and I breathed it deep - I love that smell! I got to clear my mind (and my sinuses) and was even greeted by a pair of very friendly cattle dogs. All was good in the 'hood! The jury is still out on the new lens converter, I need a brighter day to really tell I guess.


Red-Breasted Merganser

You can barely see him, but it's a Belted Kingfisher

Black Ducks

Red-Winged Blackbird taking a break from singing his heart out

The grass is a little greener on the other side!

One of the many Tree Swallows I saw, this one sticking to his claimed box

Terrible photo, but this is a Swamp Sparrow


Now back to cleaning, watching the bluebirds carry nesting material and waiting for the monkey to come home.

Comments

  1. I'd gladly trade our sunshine for your rain. We've gone three weeks with temperatures in the 80's and less than a half inch of rain. There are cracks in the ground and it feels like July.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like that's how it's been the past few years..... feast or famine!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment