When you're a 40 something single mother of a teen with lots of ambition, you find yourself in all kinds of interesting adventures and situations. Come back to laugh at us any time you feel the need, heaven knows where we'll be doing what next. Here you can expect a few words, a lot of images and hopefully ideas on what you can do for your next adventure.

If you're looking for something specific that we've done or a place that we've been, use the Search Box feature to search our blog.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Backyard power struggles

I went to VIP this morning for my date with Corey, he and the other mechanic quickly determined that there really wasn't anything wrong with my car diagnostically, but I did need new Sway Bar links and an oil change. They fixed us up and we were out of there in no time. Thank goodness, I thought I would have to pay for a window, a wall and a soda machine by they time I got the boys out of there.

We were running a little early before the appointment, so we swung by Smiling Hill Farm to see how many ducks had accumulated at the ponds. There were only two male Mallards, but then I saw a medium sized bird swoop down to the water and back - a Kingfisher! We have Belted Kingfishers up here, he was so handsome until he lit in the tree and I realized there were two! Yeah! Another bird for the list! Then I was bummed - no camera! So not like me, but oh well - was more interested in getting the car fixed than taking pics.

Back at home, around noonish I was going to see if I could get some Sakrete around the base of the Birdhouse and Feeder poles for stability when I heard a familiar warbling - the Bluebirds! They were back! I ran in the house for the binoculars and my camera and sure enough, there they were. I watched them fighting off the Chickadees who had tried to stake a claim on the East Roadside nestbox but were obviously loosing the battle. Then Mrs. B set herself atop the Juniper box while Mr B sat on the Roadside box and they twerdled to each other louder and louder in a complete battle of wills, no doubt arguing over which box they liked better. It will be interesting to see which B wins out. They better hurry up and make up their minds, a pair of Swallows circled the field many times while all this went on. A pair was very close to stealing the long box I did have set up, but the Bluebirds took it over in the end. I'm so excited over the prospect of another brood of babies! :)

Speaking of which, I checked 'Woodline 1' box again and evidently yesterday's hub-bub was to add feathers and soft stuff as a liner to the inside of the nest. It looks so inviting!

Lots of other backyard business - birds galore as you can see below. I am one happy Backyard Mommie! ♥


 Chick Fight! Mrs. B and presumably Mrs. C duke it out over the precious 'New' Nestbox









Oh, this is really nice! Cedar!


 Not sure if I like the view of the crazies, but it's not bad with that tree kinda in the way....

Nice sized doorway...


 I suppose you're right about the door size...

But we need to put up a fence!


 Hey - this one isn't bad either!

 I'm staying right here where noone can see me (Savannah Sparrow)

I see Mr. Flashie-pants is back in town, flitting his bright blues to swoon all the girls.


Until the Sharp-Shinned Hawk did a fly-by, then they all disappeared.


'Yeah, well that Sharp Shinned thingie doesn't scare me! Bark!'


Dear Lord, I thank you for this plentiful meal and for the woman who provides it. Please don't let her shoot at me again. Amen.


An odd appearance by a Turkey Vulture, right at the treetops!


Handsome in the air, butt-ugly up close.


The Chickadees have added some nice fluffy stuff to line their nest


But you can still see the bottom right in the middle. Space for a futon maybe?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...