Welcome spring!

Up he-yah in May-ine spring hit with a bang. It hit 75 here at my house and caused the great outdoors to kick into hyper-space gear. It was actually so hot outside that I came in the house and watched a movie to let it cool down a little (Stalag 17 - one of my all time favorite movies). I have chives, salvia, tulips, daffodils, irises, crocuses and a few others sprouting from the soil. All my trees are budding, including the lilacs. Even the acorns have little green earth seeking trailers on them in an attempt to grow a tree. As such, my allergies have also kicked into overdrive with one of the worst attacks I can remember having. That didn't stop me from my missions of the day - inlcuding putting up the birdhouses.

I hit the hardware store and bought 3 ten foot lengths of 3/4" galvanized conduit, six "U" brackets and three chair 'thingies' (those things you put on the bottom of a chair to keep it from scratching the floor). Chris, the great guy there, cut the pipes down to 6' lengths and I kept the leftover pieces because you just never know. I tried to get some kwikrete but everywhere I stopped they were sold out. I took that as an omen.

I already had two cedar 'bluebird' houses, but I had spotted some home made ones on the side of the road for $5.00 each. I stopped and bought three - not that I need them, but the guy was older and seriously funny so I had to. And they were cheap but very well made. I'll use those for the treeline, maybe a chickadee or the titmouse will use them. I just need to figure out how I want to paint them.

It seriously only took 5 minutes to put a house up on the pole - I used one of the shorter lengths of conduit and pounded it into the ground about a foot, foot and a half deep. I put the house on the longer length and placed the cap on top then slipped it into the hole I had just pounded. The beauty of it is that I can move them very easily long before anyone even stakes a claim (thank goodness everyone else had bought out the Kwikrete!). Woman's Yankee Ingenuity is priceless, I get it from my mom - she's pretty clever like that.

I'm really glad I got the house off the tree - I put it up rather hastily last spring never dreaming it would get used by anything, and I landed a pair of bluebirds. At least now I don't have to worry about the stray cats I have lurking around - as much!

Today I saw lots of Robins and Red-Winged Blackbirds - but the Blackbirds don't stop at my house, they fly right on by (I can actually hear my feeders breath a sigh of relief). I had two Killdeer in the field as well. Still high numbers of feeder usuals, including the Juncos. Maybe they know something I don't?


My $5.00 birdhouses, such a deal! I need to decorate them...... hmmmmmm

I don't have thumbs, but can I help?

Voila! Finished product. No, it's not leaning! Ok - maybe just a little...

I ♥ the chair tips, that was Chris' idea

As mounted on the back

Still no seeds in my paws!

He let me get so close!

Comments

  1. Renee - Thanks for visiting my Blue Jay Barrens blog. Good Luck with your new bird boxes. I saw a male Bluebird carrying grass today, but he doesn't seem to be using any of my boxes. I'm sure plenty of others will before the season is over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve! Welcome aboard! I'm currently in the process of giving the new houses 'makeovers' and jeez - just got paint on my keyboard. My fingers are crossed for you and your boxes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment