Spending time at the Stickey River watershed, Sebago Lake

I finally put my first full 40 hours at work last week so my weekend without the Monkey had been severly impacted with exhaustion. Therefore, I decided to keep things easy for myself by spending a beautiful Saturday in March driving and taking a short walk instead of wearing myself out. I think I did rather well for myself.

Off Rt 114 in Standish is a little secret - a road that crosses part of the Stickey River watershed (which we lovingly call "the culverts") and also brings you to a set of railroad tracks that cross the same watershed. After filling out a Sebago Lake Land Preserve slip you can walk the tracks up to a trestle where the views of the Lower Bay are fantastic and so is the fishing. Not interested in the latter of the two, I did sneak up in and took a quick walk. Although windy, I was really nice. I was surprised to see some people fishing - I didn't think 'open water' meant whenever the ice broke up? Anyway, the ice is almost out - I would say within the next few weeks if the weather remains as warm as it has been. I stopped at the culverts to watch a flock of a good 70+ Mallards schwizzeling in the weeds on both sides of the roads, as well as some obvious pairs of Canadian Geese taking a stroll along the icy shores.


































Mallards from the culverts





Yep, Mt. Washington - taken from Rt 35 on the hill (standing on the guardrail peeking over the fence!). Not much ice left in the Lower Bay, but none in the upper regions!

Comments

Post a Comment