The Northern Goshawk

Yes, still home sick again today (and for the rest of the week now too - I finally made the call). The coughing at night is atrocious even with codeine and the monkey has an ear infection. **sigh** life is GREAT!

Anyway, we were sitting in the big frumpy chair watching TV when I caught a flutter out of the corner of my eye. I almost killed myself getting out of the chair and to the window, and I realized it was a flock of about 20 Cedar Waxwings. I got all excited, I hadn't seen any so far this winter (I had two pairs nest in my big pine out back last summer) so I watched them with great interest. I realized that they seemed frenzied - in a panic, flying in weird patterns. Three broke off and made a wide circle back towards my back yard.

I grabbed my binoculars and ran to the back slider to try to figure out where they went - it all just seemed so odd. It was then that I saw a dark shadow out of the corner of my eye. As I watched, a hawk flew into a large Maple in the stand out back. Oh no - I thought - no wonder they scattered like they did! They knew he was on patrol! I grabbed my camera and slipped out the back door and across the back lawn (no Robin, I wasn't in my PJ's) to get a better look.

He was perched back to me and I couldn't figure out what would have such a solid gray back like that. I snapped a few pictures as he surveyed the far back, then he spun off his perch and swooped through the woods towards me as I frantically tried to get as many decent photos as I could, knowing I needed to identify him for what he was. He glided through the woods so easily and silently, not finding any prey (fortunately for the squirrels, but I muttered a darn-it-all) then slipped past me and over the high pines, disappearing from sight. I was in awe over how quiet everything was, including his wingbeats.

I came in the house and downloaded the pictures, and the monkey and I poured through our books trying to figure out what it was. I thought a Peregrine Falcon at first just based on the mustache, but it was the back that kept throwing me off. Then, I found it - a Northern Goshawk, once I saw a photograph of a back-to view, I knew what it was (and was happy to add him to my Life list!).

In all the excitement, I totally forgot about and never saw the Waxwings again. Hopefully they swing back into the neighborhood, minus the 'friend in tow'.


This picture is a dead giveaway, well  - if you can find him


Hiding


Whoa! I thought he was coming to check ME out!


So graceful, so silent, so deadly



Comments

  1. The Goshawk looks great, naaaiiiice flight shots, lady. I think they are hard to get good shots of as they stay so tight in the trees, too many branches for a photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if it wasn't for the ability to CROP a picture, there would be some trees in the way. :) I was amazed at how well he slipped through the trees. Crazy! Wish he had picked up a squirrel or two though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment