You Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker!

Imagine that, I always thought it was someone who was a low-down, dirty, cheating no good for nothing piece of trash person. A Yellow-Bellied Sap Sucker is actually a member of the woodpecker family that literally drinks the sap from trees. Aptly named I guess.

I had my first chance to photograph one last week as this male hung high in the top of my birch tree surveying the property and looking for a morsel or two amongst the new buds.


Red beard, red cap, yellow belly.



He's not as handsome as I am!

I heard that, I'm not deaf you know!

Comments

  1. I had a pair of sap suckers last year that just about killed and ornamental crab apple tree of mine.. It was nearly girdled with drillings and torn out sections of the bark by the birds. You could watch the sap literally drooling down the trunk. I notice that it is budding this spring..Now I'm wondering if the little buggers will come back to finish it off? By the way..nice blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet they remember exactly where that tree is. Mine have off and disappeared and I suppose I should consider myself lucky. And thanks! I like my little corner of the internets. Did Brian tell you to stop by? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I "found" you on The Maine Outdoorsman blog..

    ReplyDelete
  4. What outstanding photos! Wow. The cedar waxwings used to stop by Gorham High School each spring to strip the crabapple trees of fruit. Maybe they were bohemians, actually. Anyway, I loved seeing them but disliked their perching in the tree branches just above my car. What a mess I'd find on the car's roof and windshield. They probably still stop at dear ol' GHS. By the way, I'm in "
    Hollis Foreside."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by, 'neighbor'! I'm happy to know there's a Foreside in Hollis too! :) lol! Now I'm going have have to start swinging by GHS on occasion to watch for the waxwings. That's good info to know!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment