Escaping the heat: Duck Pond, Buxton ME

80 something degrees at 6:00 at night. The Monkey begs me to do something, I'm still not feeling well but we leave the house to escape the heat. This is the first part of our journey.

A little gem of a waterway, I stumbled across Duck Pond by accident in a hurry to the Town Farm soccer fields last fall. It's a small pond whose only exit is forced through a small culvert that crosses the road. You would never know it to stand on the culvert edge of the roadway, the water is very still, calm and serene. I believe this will become a new birding stop for me this fall to see what ducks accumulate here.

It sure was beautiful tonight.


Pickerel weed standing tall in the shallows


It was such a beautifully odd haze on the small pond

Yellow waterlillies embrace the surface



A dragonfly stopped in flight, searching for a meal

A cedar waxwing stops for a breather - man it was hot!

Monkey tempts fate





There's a fish in there - see it?





Can you believe it? Leaves turning color. Already. August? Is it August?

Comments

  1. Nice very Nice...I like the reflections and the calmness look ...water lily pads...really like the wooden gate!!!
    Did I say calmness...is that not my Grandson!! ; }
    Does the fish have a sripe??...if not I cannot find it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the folling down gate and the Pickerel weed with reflections. You have nicely captured the heat of late in this series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes GG - the fish does have a stripe - good eye! I believe it's a Dace of some sort. I know, I'm a geek.

    Thanks Robin, it was a steamy sort of evening!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment