Our fall trek on the Eastern Trail - Scarborough Marsh section

After being couped up all day Saturday with torrential downpours, the monkey and I decided we would need to do something cool on Sunday. The weather was slated to turn sunny and in the mid 50's so we packed up the back pack and set out on the road.

For this trip I was armed with binoculars, my big camera, my Smithsonian handbook of Northern Birds, a field checklist and a pencil. Of course I was also loaded down with enough food and water to last us if we were stranded in the wilderness for a month - it's just how I am. I've been on a gazillion hikes with the boy, but spent most of it making two trips chasing him around making sure he didn't roll around in the poison ivy or ate some wild berries (yes, he is a boy). This time it was going to be different, I'm birding too. I felt compelled to watch for, photograph and collect information on birds we saw on the trail. Call it my re-kindled love for our feathered friends or you can just tell me I'm going to the birds. Either way, I came prepared to have a good time doing whatever it was that I was going to do.

I chose the Eastern Trail because it's an easy walking trail and the monkey could bring his bike if he wanted to. It's been awhile since we've been near the coast and I had a need to smell saltwater. It's not far from the house - takes about 20 minutes to get there from home. Lastely, it's a hotspot for birds. Those are my reasons for the choice. The Scarborough Marsh Trail runs from Pine Point Road and crosses Rt 207 (Black Point Road) and comes to an end just shy of Pleasant Hill Road, with future construction considered to connect the trail to Pleasant Hill and on through to Portland. Monkey and I have only been through the marsh area by Pine Point, mostly because I didn't know who far the road went until I finally found the attached map online. Now I know for a fact it's 3 miles round trip (just about a mile and a half one way). Or at least my feet can tell you.

It was a gorgeous day for a walk; sunny, warm and just breezy enough to keep from overheating. We saw a Great Blue Heron, a handful of Herring Gulls, some Cormorants and a few varieties of sparrows in the marshy areas then Blue Jays, Chickadees, Juncos, Downy Woodpeckers and a few chipmunks along the wooded trail. We were also suprised by a Sharp-Shinned Hawk that swooped out of an Oak tree and flew straight at us! The colors were fantastic, the yellow, orange, brown and red hues were gorgeous! With all the beauty and beast came a small toll - there were literally at least a hundred people on that trail with bikes, dogs, baby carriages and kids in tow. We even met a very large, very wet, very friendly chocolate lab who decided to walk with us for a few minutes - I have no idea where he came from or where he went. I think that I would have faired better in the birding department if there hadn't been so many people. Regardless, a great time was had by both of us and we'll definitely have to do that again. Enjoy the photographs!


Comments