Overnight visitors

Saturday morning wake-up call came with chilly toes on the hardwood floor. I peeked at the temperature - at the time is was -5 or close to. It wasn't until I got coffee in me that I realized I should take a picture of the thermometer.

As the day was warming up and I was sipping my coffee peering out the window, I noticed a disturbance in the snow that I didn't remember being there the day before. I got out the binocs and realized that the deer had been all through the back yard during the night.

During my ritualistic 8:00 AM weekend call to 'Grammie G' I was explaining the new tracks to her when I noticed a white flag and movement in the woods - those deer must have been seriously hungry, because they were within a hundred yards of the house in broad daylight.

Later in the day, between building a snow park and cleaning up the yard, I walked the yard to see just who had been in the back yard..... this is what I saw.


Brrrrr - and this was later in the morning

Looks like a mouse went that way....

Gut instinct says.... Junco.

The deer were eating the tops of last year's saplings

Who's been walking in my tracks?

I love how the sun sparkles on fresh snow

Instead of 'crop circles' these are 'deer circles'



They were smart to stay in our snowshoe tracks

Bluejay, I say


Monkey and I deliberated over this for awhile and decided it was created by..... aliens.

Someone's crawl space - probably filled with acorns

Are these the deer that tracked up our fresh snow?

More mousey tracks


And that's the scoop. I mean poop.

Comments

  1. I love seeing tracks in the snow and trying to guess/wonder what it was! I'd say the leftover poo is a dead giveaway... lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ney...I think you may have aliens ,but that poop is a dead give away !! lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your photos. If you'd like to see 2 real--and very big--actual snow "crop circles," check out this link:

    http://www.bltresearch.com/robbert/snow09.php

    Nancy Talbott
    BLT Research Team Inc.
    www.bltresearch.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Animal tracks are great! I however reserve judgement on the "poop" close-up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. R,

    Would have e-mailed you BUT your a hard person to track down! lol! Planning a post on my blog for Feb. 15 that will highlight photographing animal tracks. Would you mind if I link to you post:

    http://adventureswithrenee.blogspot.com/2011/01/overnight-visitors.html

    Thanks and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh, I'm a very sneaky one at that, yes - you are more than welcome to use the link. I'll see if I can e-mail you as well - and thanks for joining! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment